Fricasé de Pollo Con Maduros
(Cuban Style Chicken w/ Plantains)
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup grapefruit juice
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
3 lbs chicken (drumstick and thigh, bone in and skinned)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion chopped 1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
Combine and let marinade for 1 hr. Set marinade aside to add to pot later.
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup dry white wine
1 tsp cumin
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 lbs potatoes, quartered
1 Tbsp Knorr chicken bullion salt and pepper to taste
1/2 - 1 cup water
1/2 cup pimiento olives
1. Heat oil, brown chicken and transfer to plate.
2. In the same pan, add onions, red pepper and cook until soft.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add tomato sauce and wine. Cook for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens.
4. Place chicken and remaining ingredients including reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for 20-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Stir in olives before serving.
2 ripe plantains (dark yellow and black, for sweeter flavor)
1 cup of vegetable oil Salt (optional)
1. Heat oil over medium heat.
2. Peel and cut plantains into 1/2 inch thick slices.
3. Cook on each side to a golden brown, around 2-3 minutes.
4. Serve as a side dish or appetizer.